Saturday, December 28, 2013

Finding Heavenly Father through Trials

I wrote a personal essay about when I felt like I was "A Child of God". Isn't it interesting that we sometimes find God through the most difficult times in our lives? I find that simply beautiful. Heavenly Father works in wondrous ways, and sometimes we do not understand the plan he has in store for us. We are always moving, forwards or backwards, we are always moving. If we are not moving towards God we are moving towards Satan. Trials test our faith, and when we lean on our Heavenly Father, our darkest moments can be brightened by His light. I can think of three examples of people finding God in some of their most difficult trials.

Number 1: Immaculee Ilibagiza
A refugee in the Rwanda war, her family was killed and mocked for being a certain "tribe". She was locked inside a bathroom for months, starved, filthy. She was able to turn her hate into forgiveness by relying on God. In her book she gives all of the credit to Heavenly Father. The miracles He worked and provided and the forgiveness and love he could give to Immaculee.

I knew that my heart and mind would always be tempted to feel anger--to find blame and hate. But I resolved that when the negative feelings came upon me, I wouldn't wait for them to grow or fester. I would always turn immediately to the Source of all true power: I would turn to God and let His love and forgiveness protect and save me.

Number 2: Elizabeth Smart

I recently read her book My Story and she talked about through the hardest thing she had ever gone through (being kidnapped) she did not feel alone. She still felt as though Heavenly Father cared about her. Just to forewarn you this book was very raw and real, it was a story of what happened to her not so much her healing process, I know a lot of people had a hard time with it and how she didn't expound upon how she healed. It is disturbing but it was an informing book so to speak. Here is what she said.

During the darkest days that I was captive, it helped me to think that someone I loved, some who loved me, someone who was a good man, was standing at my side. It helped me remember that God still cared for me, that He hadn't forgotten or forsaken me, that He was doing everything He could to help to carry my pain...It was as if, in the midst of all the blackness, I saw a ray of light. My mind focused in on it, grasping toward it as a falling man might grasp for a rope.

Number 3: Me

Three years ago I broke my back and my world was shifted in all different directions. There have been multiple fears in my life. I have thought through how the rest of my life will pan out. I grew closer to Heavenly Father when I felt like I was crumbling. From my personal essay in my own words...

There is an end to every storm, a solution to every problem, an answer to every prayer. I know the feeling of darkness. I know the feeling of being alone. I know the feeling of frustration. But, I have experienced joy and love and laughter. I have experienced life. I have watched my nieces and nephews come into this world, some with their perfect little bodies and others infected with illness and disease. The gift of life is joy. Receiving a body, imperfect or not, is a blessing in and of itself. In order to taste the sweet we must know what the bitter is. I endured through the feelings of pain. I survived through the beginning of this battle. The smile I have is genuine. The smile I have comes from the knowledge that I know I am worth something. Dance doesn’t define me. Pain doesn’t define me. I define myself. I am finding my way out of this darkness.

Heavenly Father cannot control our agency or others' but He can send comfort and love when we are going through those difficult times. Be courageous and turn towards God not only when you are struggling but when you feel that you are doing great. The more you make it a habit to have Heavenly Father the primary focus of your life, the more you will grow. The more you will be happy.


Through this mist of darkness, the Lord is still light.

No comments:

Post a Comment