Friday, November 15, 2013

Last One

This is my last blog post on the book I read, Migrations. Bear with me, this post may be a little jumbled. A segmented essay, if you will.

In my humanities class we talked about Aesthetic Experiences. An aesthetic experience is an heightened emotion with an experience: it can be a work of art, a song, music, dance, person, a whole bunch of different things.

Reading this book has been an aesthetic experience. It is just a book of photographs so I guess you could say that I just looked at it, not really read it. Salgado, the photographer, is trying to bring awareness to the refugee situations that occur throughout the world. His work is simply gorgeous, and inspiring. You look at his photographs and read the captions, and you create your own story. These photographs become sentimental.

This last photograph was captivating. I just kept looking at it. Looking at it. Looking at it. I love the idea and the composition. It is beautiful.

The man is from Vietnam and he is holding a picture of his late wife and a photograph of him when he fought in the war. These things define him.

I always think of the things in my life that I feel like define me. I used to dance and that certainly made me who I am. I sing (horribly I might add). I laugh. I smile.

There are like 5 billion people on this earth and not one of them is exactly the same. Our individual experiences shape us into who we are. Not a single person is the same. Not a single one.

I don't know what more to say really, my mind is so jumbled. All I can say is that I fell in love with this photograph. I also believe in being unique and being yourself. This man is unique. Me, Aubrey Larsen, is unique. We have our own design and we all have our own capabilities.





Salgado, SebastiĆ£o. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. New York: Aperture, 2000. Print.

Salgado, SebastiĆ£o. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. (Pamphlet) New York: Aperture, 2000. Print.





No comments:

Post a Comment