Friday, November 15, 2013

Brian Doyle: a writer and story teller

Today I went to a reading here at BYU and it was by a man named, Brian Doyle. It is safe to say that my eyes were opened up a little bit.

He is a writer and I guess you can say that he is bias, but I enjoyed the points that he made. He talked about how important stories are and how they enrich our lives. The relaying of any kind of information is always through stories.

Stories are food, they are crucial. They are an important part of our life.

Catch and share stories.

The world shifts a little when you tell a story: stories matter.

The stories that matter to you, share them.

If God gives you a tool and you don't use it, that is a sin.

There are no boring moments, just boring people to not understand how miraculous those moments really are.

I also was amazed at how respectful he was. Most people know that BYU is a religious school, and we are not ashamed to admit that we are. Brian Doyle is Catholic yet he expressed his appreciation for the religion and showed a lot of respect.

It does not matter to me if you are a religious person or not, if you have the same faith or not, I have been taught that a good person does not stem just from a religion. There are good people throughout the whole world and the way they act and treat others is their true character.

All in all, it was a very fulfilling experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment