This picture is so absolutely artistic and stunning, but what it is about is the complete opposite. I asked myself, how could something so beautiful be about something so horrible? The very first thing that popped into my head was, oh they are waiting in line for something. I love this picture so much because it is such an accurate depiction of almost everyone.
We are all waiting for something: death, a baby to be born, a promotion, to get married, to graduate. We are all "in line". The caption that describes the picture is so disturbingly true. Told to await food that never comes...
If you take the literal meaning of the words, it is a sad thought. Maybe everything we wait for, in reality, never comes. But I took this to mean a different thing. I know in my life I sometimes wait for things to come, on occasion these things are not necessarily good or bad, they are neutral. Sometimes I wait for a "boyfriend" (because I am a girl, in college, and think I need one- stupid really), sometimes I wait for someone to come and talk to me. We all are waiting for something, but are we waiting for something good and justifiable? Are we waiting for a "good" reason?
Salgado, Sebastião. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. New York: Aperture, 2000. Print.
Salgado, Sebastião. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. (Pamphlet) New York: Aperture, 2000. Print.

Wow, great post! We totally are all just waiting for something--something to happen to us, something amazing that will change our lives for the better. We all should probably realize, though, that we should not only be waiting for something good, but we should be actively working toward getting that good thing. The boys in the picture are waiting, and they're waiting for us. They are unable to help themselves, but we need to help them and stop waiting for others to do things for us.
ReplyDelete