I love the fact that Vik has a vision to make something beautiful out of something disgusting. He wants to learn about the people he is taking photographs of. This idea is captivating, the idea that everything can be given a second chance. I relate these movies and experiences I have, to myself because that is where I know they fit exactly in. A lot what I got from this movie was the idea of not underestimating someone's true potential. The world we live in has so many different people and each one of us has a unique responsibility. I know that not every movie or photograph we see will be life changing but they can always offer us some insights that perhaps we were oblivious and couldn't see before. It makes me think about the story of the ugly duckling. The outside appearance was temporary, and everything changed. We are all somewhat like this pile of trash or ugly duckling, our true potential hasn't shown through yet. We are all along the same path in life, ugly ducklings awaiting our transformation or a "pile of trash" ready to be arranged. We can't doubt ourselves and the true affect we have on people, nor can we doubt others and their true potential.
"One of the greatest weaknesses in most of us is our lack of faith in ourselves. One of our common failings is to depreciate our tremendous worth"

Pile of Trash
"One of the greatest weaknesses in most of us is our lack of faith in ourselves. One of our common failings is to depreciate our tremendous worth"
-Elder L. Tom Perry

Pile of Trash


I loved how you talked about self worth. I feel like the people in this film really came to realize their potential as the film progressed. What was surprising to me viewing this film was how much pride these people took in their work. They realized that many people looked down on them but they kept saying it is honest and ethical work and because of that they were able to maintain their dignity. They were very proud of the fact that they were doing good work no matter what it was.
ReplyDeleteThose are very good insights. I didn't think about the metaphor of turning something beautiful out of something disgusting. I sincerely agree and believe that everything can be given a second chance. When people's lives are a mess, sometimes it is hard for them to see their own potential. When people look at their lives and see a pile of garbage, it is only because they haven't taken a step back to see the masterpiece it could become. The key is stepping back and looking at life from a higher perspective, just like you can only see "the whole picture" when you step back from the easel. Everyone born into this world has potential to grow and become better.
ReplyDelete