Friday, October 11, 2013

Family Is The Most Important Part

This week I have been thinking a lot about the government shut down and how childlike it really is. I have been thinking about the things in my life which I hold most important. Sometimes it scares me how much that I don't realize the importance of the things that I have. It scares me that I don't realize just how important my family really is. I have always been the one who would rather hang out with their family than go hang out with friends on a friday night, so I thought that I had my priorities straight. Lately I have reconsidered and reevaluated just how "straight" my priorities actually are.

I am reading this book Migrations by Sebastiao Salgado and each week I have a set number of pages that I look at and pick a photo that I think has "spoken" to me, to talk about in my blog. This week's photo was extremely close to my heart.


The photo was of a bunch of ladies with pictures of their husbands and faces of terror and sadness. These women had their husbands taken away from them because of war and hatred. My brother is overseas in Afghanistan. I know how it feels to be terrified.

My brother is probably one of the bravest people I know, but not only him, my sister-in-law. I have been humbled to watch her handle this situation so delicately. As she raises five kids on her own while he is serving, she remains as happy as can be.

I just want to express my love for the soldiers serving and the sacrifice that they give to make the world a little bit safer. I don't know how to put my feelings into words but I truly love my family. I understand the importance to cherish the relationships with your siblings, even if they drive you crazy. I understand that my family is the family that I am supposed to be in. Love is the center for success, peace, and hope. Let us love each other and bring home those we hold dear. Love conquers all, it always has and it always will.

Be a little braver to be a little kinder.


Salgado, SebastiĆ£o. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. New York: Aperture, 2000. Print.

Salgado, SebastiĆ£o. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. (Pamphlet) New York: Aperture, 2000. Print.

1 comment: