Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Change of HEART

This past week I had the opportunity to watch the film God Grew Tired Of Us and my perspective on life has changed quite drastically. The film is a documentary of the Lost Boys of Sudan. To be honest before this film I had never heard that term, but having the opportunity to learn about Sudan and its culture and what the lost boys really means has been an aesthetic experience.

Not knowing about what is going on in the world we are surrounded by, is perhaps not the best, but there is always room to be informed on current events and especially past events. I hope that this post can inform and change your heart, like mine has been changed.

Background:
The war in Sudan has been said to be the longest civil war in a country, up to date, it was primarily between North Sudan and South Sudan. The main reason of conflict was the differences in religion, although there are many factors that play into it. The documentary explores the history and the journey of three of The Lost Boys. This term "The Lost Boys" is disheartening, uncomfortable and unapproachable. The film explains how they became these Lost Boys and what a tragedy it really is. If you want to find out more I'll let you watch the movie, and I highly recommend it. But before I get too scientific with my facts and all historical, I would like to share the insights that I had from viewing this film.






The Change of Heart:
I would say that most of you had an easy childhood even a "normal" one, you ate when mom cooked dinner, you bathed when mom told you to, life was but a pure joy filled with digging in the dirt and running around the playground. Now imagine a normal childhood of being five years old separated from your parents and siblings, starving and walking thousands of miles across a desert in search for the slightest safety. The term "normal" is irrelevant. We cannot define what is normal.

There are people in this world where all they have are the clothes on their back, a couple of rationed meals a week and their body. They literally have nothing compared to what we call everything. Yet, how happy these people are. They sing, dance and celebrate when they have considerably nothing, in the opinion of some. How incredible is it that no matter their circumstance(s) they have found their connection with God and their soul. Are we like this? Could we be happy with just the clothes on our back? Could we survive if all our so called "blessings" were to disappear today? How can we learn from these incredible human beings?

There is a part in the movie where the three Lost Boys journey to America and are given the opportunity to find a job and support themselves. From the most simplest of things, such as throwing something in the trashcan, this had to be taught to them. Learning how to turn on the light switch as well. All the daily routines the so called sophisticated countries have, had to be learned.

Never in my life have I been more emotionally moved. I feel as though my whole life has been a big and luxurious desert, but I have been complaining this whole time. Going back to their happiness. How is it that someone who eats everyday and drives a fancy car complains about the long line at Del Taco? How does a child complain about the toy they got for their birthday? How do teenagers complain about a concerned parent? You understand where I am going with this. It breaks my heart to see how unappreciative I have been my whole life.

Sitting in the movie theatre watching this movie I felt afraid and I felt a lot of guilt. Guilt as in why have I of all people been complaining? Why have I been wasting my time? Why? Why? Why?

No one knows the answers to these questions and sometimes we cannot do anything to help the situation of others, but changing the way you view things and showing respect, gratitude, honor and commitment is the first step. We ourselves have to be changed, and I was changed through my heart and down to my toes. Learning about poverty and horrific situations not only persuaded me but enlightened me to the more abundant side of life.

My hope for you is that you analyze your life and your attitude towards the blessings you have received and become aware of situations that deserve your attention. Begin to see your world as the one with new discoveries awaiting. Enjoy the annoyances and forgive the troublemaker. Don't become so involved in yourself that you forget we are all humans with emotions on this planet. Have that much needed change of heart.

Go check out that movie on HULU plus for free: http://www.hulu.com/watch/294405?cmp=507&pdv=c%20&gclid=CMajtaKoy7kCFa1FMgoddSAARw

No comments:

Post a Comment