Friday, January 17, 2014

It makes sense...right?

I am amazed about how much I have learned about myself by just living and experiencing things on my own. I feel like I have grown up a lot, but that is my opinion. I hope surrounding sources can verify my feelings. (cough cough)...Mom?

Since this blog is named in the brain of aubrey I thought I might share some thoughts that have been racing around in my head today. Maybe you will come to understand me a little bit better through this.

Let's begin the rambling...warning, my brain jumps subjects very fast. It has an average speed of 90 miles per hour.

I was thinking today about how self-esteem works. I eventually came to the conclusion that Christ, our Savior, can give us self-esteem. Seems completely logical to me. He can make our weaknesses become apart of who we are. Through the gospel we have Patriarchal Blessings, and in my life I know that that has contributed to my self-esteem today. But, I was also thinking that self-esteem can come from others and if that is true, destroying someone's self-esteem can come from others as well. Which is a very sad thought, but I have experienced it first-hand. As I am sure most of us have at one point in our life. When I was younger, I was bullied. I have forgiven those people, yet sometimes the way I view myself can be skewed. Anyway how this all comes together. I want to encourage others, I want to be known as a happy person. I expect myself to see the good in others.

Here is one way I thought in my life that I can help contribute to someone's self-esteem.

Imagine yourself a teacher: elementary, junior high, high school, college, graduate school, medical school, hair school, even a church teaching calling. Any kind of teacher. You are required to come up with a learning environment every "X" amount of days for the year. Think about one thing that would boost your self-esteem. If yours is different from mine, please educate me.

What I came up with is this...
If I were a teacher and I needed a self-esteem booster, I think knowing that the students are engaged in my lesson would make me not only feel appreciated but successful in triggering some thought in their brains.

So the challenge: If paying attention in class can boost another person's self-esteem then why not pay attention in class. To take it even further, if engaging in the lesson can affirm a desperate professor of the quality of their class, then why not ask questions that pertain to the lesson material.

For me I think it is important to look at service as not always being one thing. I know I always feel like service has to be mowing someone's lawn, doing the dishes, opening the door, carrying something, baking someone cookies or whatever. When we think about service, how awesome would it be to think "how can I make someone feel loved through my inner actions today?". I am not saying that "physical" service is bad. Perhaps the service that shows charity (the pure love of Christ) is an eternal service.

Just some food for thought.




No comments:

Post a Comment